"In Honor of the Mustangs" by Darwin Payne brought to you by the SMU Lettermen's Association
IF YOU PLAN TO GET YOUR BOOK AUTOGRAPHED AT THE SEPT. 9 LUNCHEON -
DO NOT ORDER ONLINE.
YOU WILL NOT GET THE BOOK IN TIME FOR THE LUNCHEON ON SEPT. 9.
YOU MAY PURCHASE THE BOOK AT THE LUNCHEON. VISIT WWW.SMU.EDU/LETTERMENLUNCHEON for more info on the luncheon.
This beautiful hardback book, "IN HONOR OF THE MUSTANGS", covers 100 years of SMU Athletics history. The book's twelve chapters comprise over 400 pages, extensively illustrated with over 600 historic photographs, a statistical appendix, timeline, and an index. The book measures 8.75 by 11.5 inches and is suitable for display in homes and businesses.
The book covers the history of all sports on the Hilltop, from well-known championship seasons to the lesser-known but equally important contributions of a host of dedicated athletes and coaches, whose achievements deserve to be recorded and remembered.
While almost everyone knows that Doak Walker was a three-time All American and Heisman Trophy winner, but who knew:
* SMU fielded a soccer team in 1916.
* There was a nine-hole golf course on the SMU campus.
* Willis Tate, a tackle on the 1931 football squad, would become the president of SMU in 1954.
* Women competed in tennis and basketball at the time of SMU's founding.
* SMU broke the color barrier in the Southwest Conference with the recruitment of Jerry LeVias in 1965.
Achievements in swimming, basketball, volleyball, track and field, cross country, tennis, baseball, and equestrian competition receive their due recognition. In fact, in some of these sports, such as swimming, SMU has one of the finest cumulative records in the country. Appealing especially to Mustang fans, the book also looks at athletics in the context of the history of SMU and American higher education in general.
Author Darwin Payne, emeritus professor of journalism at SMU and the official SMU Centennial Historian, is currently at work on an academic history of SMU. Photo editor Gerry York, class of '58, is the curator of SMU's Heritage Hall located in the Loyd All Sports Center situated at the northwest end of Ford Stadium on the SMU campus.
The editorial advisory group includes Roman Kupchynsky II, class of 1980, president of the SMU Lettermen's Association; Chuck Hixson, class of 1970, president-elect of the SMU Lettermen's Association as well as one of the greatest SMU quarterbacks of all time; Paul Rogers, professor of law, former Dean of the SMU School of Law, and faculty athletic representative for SMU since 1987; Joan Gosnell, University Archivist; and Russell L. Martin, III, class of 1978, Director of the DeGolyer Library.
Listing #: SMU-032511-31080
Auction Type: Fixed Price
Shipping & Handling: $10.00
More About SMU Auctions:
- 1 Penn State Game-Worn Football Jersey, Recent Style (White #35, Size 42)
- 2 Penn State Game-Worn Football Jersey, Recent Style (White #19, Size 42)
- 3 Penn State Game-Worn Football Jersey, Recent Style (White #57, size 46)
- 4 CCU Basketball #22 Black & Grey Reversible Practice Jersey (XL)
- 5 2016 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament Muffet McGraw Autographed Game-Used Ball
- 1 TCU Baseball VIP Pre-Game Experience vs. Incarnate Word - Tuesday, May 17th at 6:30 PM (A)
- 2 TCU Baseball VIP Pre-Game Experience vs. Incarnate Word - Tuesday, May 17th at 6:30 PM (B)
- 3 TCU Baseball VIP Pre-Game Experience vs. Incarnate Word - Tuesday, May 17th at 6:30 PM (C)
- 4 Game-Worn DePaul Men's Red Basketball Shorts - 42 from 2013/14
- 5 Game-Worn DePaul Men's Black Basketball Shorts - 40 from 2012/13